Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th Day's reflection - the arrival

I started to enjoy life in Morocco from yesterday.
The first day was a mixture of every emotions - excitement, worris, anxiety, release, appreciation, shock, insecureness, and uncertainty.
After more than 30 hours journey, I arrived in Rabat airport. My new beautiful suit case was broken by Air France. I wanted to declare the damage as what I did in Hong Kong, but the long line of declaring missing baggages stopped me...What an Air France...
When I stepped out the airport, the second fact I just realized...there was no train station as my AIESEC contactor said, and soon I understood from other people - I should go to Casablanca~~Although Rabat is the capital of the country, but the airport is really small, and I have to take taxi to go to the center of city - awkward transportation...and the AIESEC friend didn't notice that I would arrive in Rabat, because almost all the other interns arrive in Casa...
Before I accepted this fact, I almost used up a telephone card and got really anxious. Finally I took an over-priced taxi. When I was waiting for AIESEC students in the centre ville station, I had to think about a question, what if we couldn't find each other today? Where should I go? This is a terrible question. Because for most Moroccans, Arabic is their mother tongue, their French is not as good as I expected, and their English doesn't exist...for me, my French is not as good as I hoped, and my Arabic doesn't exist at all...I have to thank people in airport where at least some of them can speak both English and Arabic and helped me contact AIESEC and get on a cab.
Luckily, I didn't need to think about it too long. I was recognized in half an hour.
From then, verything went through smoothly. At AIESEC Rabat, I knew some board members of AIESEC Maroc, and some of them are very impressive. Hicham, Hatim, Chacha, Salma, Ouafae are the friends I met on first day.
After dinner (...I fell asleep during dinner again...exactly repeated the dinner at HK,time leg!!!...what a shame...), they brought me to the manager of AMOSE organization, Rachid, whom I would be supposed to work for this summer. Then I met Anke, the girl from Netherlands. She lives at Rachid's house now. Thanks to her, who can speak perfect English, French, Italian, and of course, Dutch. Anway, she became the interpretator of me. Rachid's family can hardly speak English, and few of the family members can speak French. Anke and I chated a lot. She told me only 3 Dutch youths were qualified to take internship in Morocco, and a lot of applicants were not eligible because of their weak French foundation...I wonder how did I make it...
My first night in Morocco was in Rachid's home. I was a little shocked by the facility...especially the toilette...I haven't seen similar environment for more than 10 years...Whatever, now I've accepted everything.
The stay at Rachid's house is a total new experience for me. Imagine 6 people sleeping in one room everyday...so my first impression of Moroccan family is crowdy.

No comments: